The Zen Center has daily practice, monthly Dharma talks by teachers, a seasonal Zen writings study group, and regular retreats.
For our daily practice schedule, click here.
For info about our Tuesday intro night, click here.
For information about upcoming events, please sign up for our mailing list here.
Retreats are times to clear our minds of habitual thinking. Yong Maeng Jong Jin means “to leap like a tiger while sitting,” a Korean term traditionally used to describe intensive Zen meditation. It points to the state of clarity and wisdom we experience that is both relaxed and wide like space, and clear and meticulous as the tip of a needle, so that we can use our experience to help ourselves and this world, moment to moment.
The Zen Center holds a one-, two-, three- or seven-day retreat every month.
- Enter at a designated entry point. For one-day retreats, you are encouraged to sit the entire retreat. For 2, 3 or 7 day YMJJ, see the schedule below.
- Unless there is an emergency, please stay for an entire block of sitting and/or chanting; ie., all of early morning sitting, and/or all of mid-morning sitting, and/or all of afternoon sitting, and/or all of evening sitting; and/or all of morning chanting, and/or all of evening chanting.
- For a 2, 3, or 7 day retreat, if you have never sat a retreat before or have not sat a Kwan Um School of Zen retreat, please arrive at 6:30 PM for orientation on the evening of the day the retreat starts.
- A 3-day retreat starts on Thurs. eve at 7:00 PM. with chanting and usually ends at 4PM on Sunday (but please confirm this end time if necessary).
- A 2-day retreat starts on Fri. eve at 7:00 PM. with chanting and usually ends at 2PM on Sunday (but please confirm this end time as necessary).
- A 1-day retreat starts at 9:00 AM and alternates 30 min. sitting, 10 min. walking, until 2:50 PM; followed by 10 min. chanting, a circle talk and a vegetarian lunch, followed by clean-up. It ends at 4:00 PM.
- For one-day retreats, you are encouraged to sit the entire retreat. You may also enter from 10:50 AM–11:00 AM or 12:50 PM–1:00 PM for a one day retreat. There is no orientation for a one day retreat.
- The cost of a 2, 3, or 7-day retreat is $55/day for non-members and $40/day for members. The cost of a 1 day retreat is $45/day for non-members and $35/day for members. You are encouraged to pay the appropriate amount in advance using our Paypal link. You may also pay by check or cash when you enter the retreat. Feel free to email us at email@example.com with any further questions.
- CIZC is committed to making our teaching accessible to all, regardless of ability to pay. While we do depend on fees to cover the costs of retreats and to help support the temple, we have a pay-what-you-can policy for those for who cannot afford the regular fee. Donations above retreat fees are appreciated and help support the Zen center.
|*4:45 – 5:00||108 Prostrations|
|5:15 – 7:30||Sitting|
|7:40 – 8:00||Breakfast|
|*8:15 – 9:00||Work Period|
|*9:00 – 9:30||Break|
|9:30 – 10:15||Chanting|
|10:15 – 12:00 noon||Sitting|
|* After Lunch – 1:30||Break|
|1:30 – 4:00||Sitting|
|*4:00 – 5:30||Break|
|*After Dinner – 6:30||Break|
|7:00 – 7:30||Regular Chanting|
|7:30 – 9:30||Sitting|
|9:30 – 9:40||Chanting & Four Great Vows|
|9:40||Sleep or Extra Practice|